BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP FROM O-2 CAFE
It's a holistic experience that includes a healthy cafe? and it's a good way to stick to some of those new years resolutions you may have made.
O-2 Cafe is located at 6 Yellow Monkey Village in Cross River.
Here's the recipe for one of their menu favorites:
Macrobiotic Butternut Squash Soup
1 lbs. Butternut Squash peeled and rough chop 1 Medium Onion sliced 1/2 lbs. Carrots peel and rough chop 2 quarts Vegetable stock 1 Bay leaf 1 tsp. Cinnamon 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg 4 tablespoons Local Honey 1 tablespoon Organic extra virgin olive oil Garnish Micro celery Micro bulls blood Sprouted and spiced pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- In a medium pot sweat the Onions in the EVOO until translucent.
- Add the Cinnamon and Nutmeg and slightly toast.
- Add the Butternut Squash and Carrots and Honey.
- Add the Vegetable stock and Bay leaf. Simmer for one hour or until squash and carrots are tender.
- Remove Bay leaf.
- Place in VitaMix blender and pur?e.
Garnish with sprouted seeds and live sprouts. The combination of the slow cooked soup and live sprouts make this a great seasonal macrobiotic soup. This time of year Macrobiotic soups like this are a great way to incorporate enzymatically live foods into your diet. It's a great way to start a happy and healthy new year.