Grilled cheese is the perfect comfort food: warm, gooey, buttery and reminiscent of childhood. This fall we are loving an elevated take on the classic grilled cheese! This vegan grilled "cheese" includes the traditional flavor of french-onion soup for a pair made in heaven. We like to have this decadent sandwich with our organic, cold-pressed Green Vitality - to make sure we get our greens in!
1 organic medium to large onion (red, sweet or yellow), thinly sliced
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
4 slices of thick French bread
2 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
1 cup grated Almond-based vegan cheese (Gruyere-style)
Handful of fresh organic thyme
About 2 tsp whole grain brown mustard
1. In a heavy bottom skillet or cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium high heat. Add in onions and saute for about 2 minutes.
2. Once golden, lower heat to low-medium. Add in sherry cooking wine, sea salt, and pepper. Cook onions for an additional 20-30 minutes or until onions are caramelized and wine has cooked off. Remove onions from skillet and wipe skillet dry.
3. Spread whole grain mustard on one side of each slice of bread (optional or could be done on half of the slices). On two slices, evenly distribute about half of the grated "cheese." Top these slices with half of the onions, a bit of fresh thyme, and then distribute the remaining cheese.
4. Place other two slices of bread on top to make two sandwiches. In the skillet, heat vegan butter or margarine and cook the sandwiches over medium heat. Cook until bread is toasted desired amount. If you prefer your bread less crispy, you can finish melting the cheese by putting the sandwiches in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes.
5. Enjoy with a savory, organic Green Vitality by Living Juice!