This dish is the definition of comfort - warm, hearty and a little spicy! We like to serve this as a main dish, and it's the perfect side to take to a potluck. Pair these Moroccan-inspired eggplants with a Living Juice Fresh Start!
- 4 medium organic eggplants
- 1 cup lentils (rinsed and drained - can also use canned)
- 3 cloves organic garlic, chopped
- 1/2 organic onion
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp organic tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or more if you like spice!)
- 1 1/2 tbsp organic lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Boil two cups of water. Add lentils and reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- While lentils are cooking, cut a wedge out of eggplants so that they can be filled with lentils. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Place eggplants open-side down and heat for 4-5 minutes while covered. Flip over and repeat.
- Once lentils are cooked, drain them. In another large saucepan over medium heat, add tomato paste and remaining ingredients. Add lentils and saute for a few minutes to spread the paste and add flavor to make Moroccan-inspired lentils.
- In a baking dish, place eggplants and fill with lentils. Sprinkle with bread crumbs if you like! Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lentils are bubbling. Enjoy alone or over quinoa!