This February Living Juice is being heart healthy for American Heart Health month. Each week, our recipes will feature ingredients that are key for heart health. This delicious spaghetti squash makes for a savory and hearty winter meal. Add in heart healthy spinach and mushrooms, pair with a tangy Living Juice organic, cold-pressed Fresh Start and you have a complete heart healthy meal!
1 organic spaghetti squash
2 cups organic spinach
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup organic mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup organic vegetable broth
2 cloves organic garlic, chopped or minced
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and discard seeds.
2. Wash, rub or spray olive oil onto the spaghetti squash halves and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 35 to 45 minutes or until spaghetti squash is tender.
4. When squash is close to done, heat remaining olive oil (and more if necessary) in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add in garlic, mushrooms, red pepper flakes (optional), salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Add in vegetable broth. Bring broth to boil, and then add in spinach. Cook for an additional few minutes or until spinach is wilted. Set aside.
5. Remove squash from oven. When slightly cool, use a fork to create "spaghetti" by scraping out the strings.
6. Serve spaghetti squash with spoonfuls of mushroom and spinach mixture. Add salt, pepper and red pepper to taste! Enjoy!