Who doesn't love macaroni and cheese? A childhood staple, it's rare to grow up and lose the love for many of our favorite juvenile dish. This vegan mac and cheese is just as delicious and creamy as the real thing, so give it a go and try for yourself!
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw cashews (soaked in water for 2 hours, if desired)
- 3 tablespoons organic fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard (optional; spicy brown or yellow)
- 16 ounces Elbow or shell pasta of choice (gluten-free, if needed)
- freshly ground black pepper
- organic paprika, for garnish
1. Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain the cashews if you soaked them. (This makes them easier to blend.)
2. While the pasta is cooking, combine the cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne (if using), and mustard in a high speed blender and blend until silky smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add 2-4 more tablespoons of water and blend again.
3. Once the pasta is tender, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot and stir in the cheese sauce. Season to taste and serve warm!