Apple pie is the perfect desert. It's easy, sweet, savory, and delicious. Thanks to the baked cinnamon apples, it'll fill your house with a heavenly scent and make you even more excited to dig in. Apple pie is simple, so tweaking traditional recipes to craft a vegan-friendly option. This pie crust is made dairy free by using vegan butter-- the end result is no less delicious.
- ~4 x (720g) cored apples, sliced thinly (note 3)
- ½ cup (95g) granulated sugar, brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons (20g) corn starch / corn flour
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice and zest, (approximately 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of any good quality salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
Preparing the pastry:
- Mix all the pastry ingredients in a medium size bowl or food processor. If the mixture is too crumbly, add some extra water and mix until it becomes a pliable dough. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more flour and mix again. Divide the pastry into 2 balls, wrap or cover in an airtight container and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Preparing the filling:
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl until combined and set aside.
Assembling the vegan apple pie:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a 9 inch (23 cm) pie dish.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge. If the dough is too cold, allow it to come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out one half of the pastry into a thin circle. It should be about 5 mm (¼ inch) thick. Transfer the pastry to your pie dish and press it against the base and sides to form a crust.
- Trim off the excess pastry and prick the bottom with a fork. Set aside.
- Layer all the apple pieces (and any excess juices) into the pie crust.
- On a floured surface, roll out the remaining half of the pastry into a thin circle. Transfer the pastry to your pie dish for the top crust. If you'd like to create a lattice design, cut your pastry into 1.5 cm (~½ inch) strips and layer them on your pie (refer to the video for a visual guide). Trim off the excess pastry from the pie.
Glazing and baking your apple pie
- Combine the maple syrup and water in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on your unbaked pie.
- Bake the pie for 1 hour or until the surface is golden and the apples are tender. If your pastry is browning too quickly but your apples are not tender, reduce the oven to 160°C (320°F) and/or cover with aluminum foil.
- Slice and serve the apple pie with a few dollops of cream or ice cream. Enjoy!