Chef Debbie Lee might be best known as a cookbook author and finalist on The Next Food Network Star, but many in Southern California count on her for her health-conscious, farm fresh sustainable food delivery service, Mind Body Fork. The service caters to celebrities and athletes as well as friends and family who want to avoid saturated fat, sugar and unnecessary carbs. Lee shared her recipe for Lemon Sumac Grilled Chicken with Broccoli Tabouleh and Minted Tahini Sauce with O2 Living.
For Chicken (If you are vegan, you can use Sprouted Tofu or Tempeh):
1 lb Hormone and Cage Free Chicken Breast, Skin on
Juice of 1 Lemon, preferably Organic
1 tbs Minced Garlic Clove, preferable Organic
2 tsp Sumac (can be found at mediterranean markets or online)
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil, preferably Organic (make sure it is 100% EVOO, not a blend)
3 Heads Broccoli, including Stalks, preferably organic (or Cauliflower, if you prefer)
1 Pint Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise, preferably organic
1/2 cup Red Onions, Small diced, preferably organic
1/4 cup Italian Parsley, Chopped, preferably organic
For Minted Tahini Sauce:
1/4 cup Tahini, preferably organic
Juice of 2 Limes, preferably organic
1 tbs Fresh Mint leaves, chopped, preferably organic
2-3 tbs water
Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, preferably Organic (make sure it is 100% EVOO, not a blend)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients for chicken. Mix with hands well and then cover with plastic wrap. Set aside and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Using a food processor, cut broccoli and stalks into 1-inch chunks and process so it is the size of rice like granules. Transfer to a large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Toss with a wooden spoon gently and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for tahini sauce, except olive oil. Whisk well until creamy and then add Olive Oil. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
4. Heat grill or grill pan. Use Olive Oil pan spray to coat grill so chicken will not stick. Place breasts skin side down and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a baking sheet and finish off in oven at 350 degrees for another 8-10 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160. Remove from oven, cover with foil and let chicken rest of at least 15 minutes.
5. Toss tabouleh with dressing, using half at a time until desired flavoring is achieved. Slice chicken and place on serving platter and enjoy! Serves 4.