Butternut squash is one of nature’s healthiest veggies, with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It’s also tasty and filling, and a great replacement for potatoes. This rich, nutritious soup made with butternut squash and carrots will warm you up on a chilly fall evening, or make a nice holiday dinner starter.
- 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ½ lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp local honey
- 1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- Pinches of thyme, micro celery, micro bulls blood, sprouted and spiced pumpkin or sunflower seeds for garnish
- In a medium pot, sweat the onions and EVOO until translucent
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg and slightly toast
- Add butternut squash, carrots and honey
- Add vegetable stock and bay leaf. Simmer for one hour or until squash and carrots are tender.
- Remove bay leaf. Place in blender and puree.
- Garnish with sprouted seeds and live sprouts.