Turmeric has powerful anti-aging compounds and has been proven to be an effective combatant of hyperpigmentation, or dark spots. But turmeric (among some other spices) didn’t send Christopher Columbus searching for a quick route to Southeast Asia for its medicinal properties. Instead it was its intoxicating, exotic flavor that captured the souls of 15th century explorers.
Here’s a simple 30 minute gluten-free and dairy-free bowl that puts turmeric in the spotlight.
This delicious vegan recipe is from blogger Christine McMichael of Jar of Lemons:
- 7 small organic yellow potatoes
- 15 oz. can organic chickpeas
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 2 kale leaves
- 1/2 Tbsp organic olive oil
- 1 organic avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the potatoes into strips and lay flat on 1/2 of a baking sheet. Spray/drizzle them with coconut oil and sprinkle 1 tsp of turmeric over them. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Roast for 5 minutes while you drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and add 1 tsp of paprika, coating them evenly. Lay the chickpeas on the other 1/2 of the baking sheet.
- Roast the chickpeas and the potatoes for about 25 minutes (or until the potatoes are a little bit soft).
- Cook the quinoa with 1/2 cup of water. Once the quinoa is cooked, add 1 tsp of turmeric (salt/pepper to taste), mix together, and let cool.
- Wash the kale and massage the olive oil over the leaves. Separate the leaves into the 4 bowls.
- Slice the avocado and split into the 4 bowls.
- Add the quinoa and roasted chickpeas/potatoes to the bowls and serve!