Summer is a time for get-togethers and grilling. While summer 2020 may not be known for get-togethers and your typical large barbecues, you can still enjoy some delicious food while getting together with family and friends over Zoom or 6-feet apart. We love this vegan BBQ tofu recipe in the summer! Enjoy either grilled or baked for all your smoky BBQ cravings. We like to pair this recipe with our tangy and refreshing, organic Living Juice Fresh Start.
16 oz block of extra firm organic tofu, drained and dried
1 teaspoon organic cumin
1 teaspoon organic paprika
1 teaspoon organic chili powder
1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (most are vegan, but double check that yours is!)
1. Drain and pat dry your organic tofu. Use your favorite method for drying out (we like to wrap in paper towels and set a heavy book on top for about an hour). When tofu is dried, cut or tear into small chunks.
2. If you're baking your tofu, pre-heat the oven to 425. If you're grilling, prepare your grill.
3. In a bowl, mix together all dry ingredients and 3/4 tablespoon of the olive oil.
4. Coat the tofu chunks in the spice mixture and ensure they are covered! If you want to add some heat, sprinkle cayenne over top of the tofu!
5. Arrange tofu on baking sheet and coat with half of barbecue sauce. Or, if grilling, mix tofu in a bowl with half of barbecue sauce.
6. Bake the tofu in the middle rack for 30-35 minutes, shaking and turning over tofu halfway through. If grilling, we like to use a grill basket and shake throughout.
7. Once baked or grilled, coat with remainder of barbecue sauce. Enjoy your tofu solo, on a sandwich, or as a salad topper!