As we approach the dog days of summer, we are increasingly in need of light and refreshing meal ideas to get us through these scorching afternoons. Fruits like watermelon are a trustworthy go-to for tasty thirst quenchers. Inspired by our delicious Watermelon Mint
pressed juice, this salad combines sweet, icy refreshment while the saltiness of the feta cuts through with just the right kick.
for 4 servings...
- 4 pounds whole seedless organic watermelon, chilled (about 6 cups of chopped fruit)
- Splash of extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 whole organic limes, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
1/2 cup fresh organic mint leaves, chopped
- ¾ cups organic crumbled feta cheese (organic sheep's milk feta ideally)
- Make sure to serve this right after preparation. It’s best fresh!
- Slice the rind from the watermelon, then chop the fruit into single inch chunks. Put these chunks in a strainer or colander so the excess liquid drains as you chop.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt, and black pepper (to be used as the dressing).
- Put watermelon in a large salad bowl. Coat watermelon with dressing and chopped mint evenly. Pour the crumbled feta into the bowl and carefully stir to integrate the cheese into the fruit and mint without destroying the watermelon chunks. Serve.