What better way to stay active in the summer heat than these delicious vegan cocoa energy bites? Packed with essential nutrients and natural energy, they’ll satisfy both your taste buds and your need to get stuff done. No added sugar, nothing processed, and no baking required makes for a perfect healthy, easy snack. Try them today!
This recipe makes around 22 energy bites.
3/4 cup almonds, sliced
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons ground flax seed - I recommend using whole flax seeds and grinding them yourself using a coffee grinder*
1/4 teaspoon ground sea salt
1 1/3 cups organic old fashioned rolled oats - gluten free if desired
1 pound 16-ounces medjool dates, pits removed (if dates are not soft, soak them in water for 20 minutes first)
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil - melted
1/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- Add the almond slices to a food processor and process for 20 to 30 seconds, until finely chopped.
- Add the cocoa, flax seed, sea salt and oats. Process another 20 seconds or until blended.
- Add dates and coconut oil. Process for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is well blended. You may need to continually stop, stir, and blend repeatedly.
- The mixture should now be sticky enough to form into balls. You can test this by squeezing between your fingers. It should stay together, but not stick to your hands, or fall apart. If it’s not staying together very well, add a little more coconut oil and process again. If it’s too sticky, you can add a bit of oatmeal or even unsweetened coconut and re-blend. (**see tip in notes below). Once ready, form into 1.5 inch balls. Note: These don't exactly "roll". Instead, press them firmly together and shape.
- Then, on a separate plate, cutting board or other flat surface, add the finely shredded coconut. Note that finely shredded works best as it sticks well. Press each ball, one at a time, into the coconut with a little pressure until it sticks to all sides. Transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge up to a week.