In honor of Women's History Month, O2 Living's recipes throughout the month of March will focus on vegan recipes for women's health. This week we're using lentils to create a hearty soup. Lentils, along with beans and legumes, have been studied for possible protective effects against breast cancer. Additional research has shown that higher intake of legumes is linked to a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease. This spicy lentil soup recipe pairs perfectly with our sweet and tangy, organic, cold-pressed Fresh Start.
1 cup organic brown/green lentils
1 medium organic onion, chopped
4 gloves organic garlic, chopped
2 stalks organic celery, chopped
2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon organic curry powder
2 teaspoons organic cumin
1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced
4 cups of organic, vegan broth
2 cups of water
1 can of organic diced tomatoes, lightly drained
1 cup of organic lacinto kale, chopped with the ribs removed
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Juice of 1 organic lemon
1. In a large pot, heat 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until onions are translucent.
2. Add in garlic, cumin, curry powder, and jalapeño stirring for about 30 seconds. Add lightly drained diced tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add in lentils, water, broth, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
4. Optional for creamy soup: remove 2 cups of the soup and purify, adding back in after blending.
5. Add in the kale and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes. Squeeze juice of lemon over top, mix, and add any extra salt or pepper to taste. Serve hot and enjoy!