This colorful soup will delight your taste buds and keep you warm with that extra kick of ginger!
- In a medium soup pot sweat the onions, celery root and ginger (and lemon grass) in the sesame oil for approx 5 minutes on medium high heat. If it starts to brown add a splash of water. The onions should remain white but become translucent.
- Add the carrots and stock and star anise.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 40 minutes or until carrots begin to fall apart.
- Remove 3 star anise (they will be floating on top) discard Strain mixture and reserve the stock. Pick out the same number of lemon grass pieces you put in. Discard.
- In small batches in the blender purée the vegetable mixture adding stock as need. (Be careful, as this is really hot and can be potentially dangerous in the blender.)
- Add the lemon juice and something green like parsley or cilantro to garnish, and this soup is sure to warm you even on the coldest of winter days.
- 1 lbs. Carrots peel and rough chop
- 1 medium Onion peel and slice
- 2 tbsp. minced Ginger (add more to taste)
- 2 quarts hearty vegetable stock (see other recipe)
- 2 cups Celery root (peel and rough chop)
- 1 Lemon juiced
- Optional 1 stalk lemon grass (cut in 3 inch sections, count the number pieces)
- 1 tbsp. Sesame oil
- 3 each Star anise