A great way to add greens to your family supper - for more vitamins and minerals replace white potatoes with sweet potatoes.
- Boil potatoes until fork-tender, approx 30 minutes.
- Drain water for mashing, reserving one cup of the cooking water.
- Add the reserved cooking water and mash by hand or with a hand mixer.
- Add 2 tablespoons of nondairy butter and salt to taste.
- While potatoes are cooking pull kale leaves from the ribs and tear into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add onions. Cook over low-medium heat until golden brown for approx ten minutes.
- Add the kale and garlic and saute for eight minutes longer until the kale is tender and chewy.
- Add vinegar and stir, combining all the ingredients - season as desired with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Bring the nondairy milk to boil and stir into the mashed potatoes.
- Combine, potatoes, kale and onion mixture and serve immediately. 4-6 servings
- 3 pounds of organic white or sweet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons of nondairy butter (Earth Balance is good)
- Himalayan Salt and Pepper
- 1 Bunch of Lacinato Kale
- Olive Oil - teaspoons
- 2 Onions
- 1 tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (your choice - almond, rice, hemp)