Vitamin D has shown to be imperative for our bodies in more ways than one. Studies have alluded to low levels of Vitamin D being associated with certain mental illnesses like seasonal depression and schizophrenia in adults. In honor of Mental Health Awareness month, let’s try out a delicious vegetarian recipe bursting with Vitamin D, a nutrient that may be able to help.
- Add 1 cup of quinoa to a large saucepan. Toast the grains on low heat for one minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- In a large, nonstick frying pan, warm the black beans over medium high heat for two minutes.
- Transfer the beans to the pot with quinoa. Add ground cumin and chili powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Wipe the frying pan. Add the olive oil and heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are set, about three minutes.
- Equally divide quinoa and beans into bowls. Top each bowl with one egg, ¼ avocado, ½ ounce cotija cheese, cilantro (optional) and hot sauce (optional).