Vitamin D has shown to be imperative for our bodies in more ways than one. Studies have alluded to low levels of Vitamin D being associated with certain mental illnesses like seasonal depression and schizophrenia in adults. In honor of Mental Health Awareness month, let’s try out a delicious vegetarian recipe bursting with Vitamin D, a nutrient that may be able to help.
1. Add 1 cup of quinoa to a large saucepan. Toast the grains on low heat for one minute until fragrant.
2. Add chicken broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
3. In a large, nonstick frying pan, warm the black beans over medium high heat for two minutes.
4. Transfer the beans to the pot with quinoa. Add ground cumin and chili powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
5. Wipe the frying pan. Add the olive oil and heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are set, about three minutes.
6. Equally divide quinoa and beans into bowls. Top each bowl with one egg, ¼ avocado, ½ ounce cotija cheese, cilantro (optional) and hot sauce (optional).