As the weekend inches towards us, many of us dream of a relaxing dinner without the work-week responsibilities of the following day looming. Look no further for a perfect, warm, comfort-based recipe: a delectable favorite, scalloped potatoes are guaranteed to be a hit. Whether cooking for yourself, a friend, family, or guests, this dish is a perfect crowd pleaser. Plus, this recipe is vegan and dairy-free and therefore easier on the digestive system. Grab some potatoes and get ready to dive into the epitome of comfort-food.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon dairy free butter - to grease the bottom and sides of a 9"x13" casserole or butter two smaller casseroles
- 6 cups organic russet potatoes - peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups dairy-free milk - unsweetened
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon organic fresh thyme
- Peel and slice potatoes to measure 6 to 7 cups.
- Place in a large bowl of water as you go along slicing. This will keep the potatoes from turning brown.
- Melt the dairy free butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir over medium-heat for a few minutes. Keep stirring so that it is all blended well.
- Pour in the dairy free milk.
- Bring to a low boil stirring often.
- After the sauce comes to a boil turn down the heat to medium and cook until it is smooth and thickens a bit. About 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Layer the potatoes in a large 9" x 13" casserole dish, overlapping in a staggered type of style. This lets the sauce get down in between the nooks and crannies.
- Pour the sauce all over the top. Cover with a lid or foil.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle fresh herbs over the top.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken.